- The Mastodon Art/Science Regional Fair was started as a fundraiser to purchase the land which is now the Mastodon State Historic Site in 1979.
- 2019 was the 40th anniversary year of the Fair.
- Students registering in the Fair can be a student in Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
- Students registering a project in the Fair can be enrolled in public, private, or be home schooled.
- Entries may be individual or group projects in the fields of art or science, students may submit one of each type for a total of two projects.
- Any students may register. Those middle and high school students who wish to qualify and move to the national level, must be from one of the following twelve (12) counties: Brown, IL; Crawford, MO; Franklin, MO; Jackson, IL; Jefferson, MO; Perry, IL; Randolph, IL; Union, IL; St. Francois, MO (Art Only); Ste. Genevieve, MO (Art Only); St. Louis, MO (Art Only); & Washington, MO.
- Teachers, parents, or guardians can register projects online.
Financial Assistance Opportunities
- If someone is unable to pay the Registration Fee of $10 per project, they can volunteer four (4) hours of their time instead.
- There is an option to apply for Financial Assistance if an applicant is unable to afford the registration fee. This is available annually if donors have specifically sponsored this opportunity.
- If a school holds a Fair Fundraising event, the fee reduces to $5 per entry.
Behind the Scenes
- We are completely funded by donations, receiving no state or federal funding.
- We are powered by volunteers, having only one staff member and the rest volunteers.
- The Fair is held annually in March at the Jefferson College Field House on the Hillsboro Campus, during the College’s Spring Break.
- We are a separate non-profit organization from the Mastodon Park, another 501(c)3 non-profit, and a great place to visit while in Jefferson County!